Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The little moments mean the most.


Jaylee sprained her ankle.  Russ took Jaylee to the Dr. and Sawyer was already in bed.
I started unloading the dishwasher and Marshall asked if he could help.  I said sure buddy.
So as we were putting away dishes, I said to him "So you're the man of the house when Daddy isn't home aren't you"  He proudly replied, "Yup, that's why I'm helping you."  
I asked him, "So Marshall will you always take good care of your Mommy?  Even when you are all grown up?"  He said "Yup!  I will pinky sware ya"  He then quickly offered me his pinky.
In our house a pinky sware is for life!  It's the most serious promise that we have with each other.  A pinky sware can NEVER EVER be broken.  The kids and us take this very seriously.
Then I asked him, "So when you grow up and get married will you move far away, or stay close?"
As he was putting away silverware he said "Nah, I think I will just move to Berryville.  It's kinda close and it's a really big place to live"

These moments are my absolute favorite!  What was an exhausting, challenging day instantly became completely worth while!  These are the moments that make me smile.  These are the moments that I never want to forget.  He is only going to be little like this once.  You don't get do overs.  Every day they grow a little bit more, and change a little bit more. 

 I could have easily completely missed this whole moment with him.  I worked a 10 hour shift today.  Russ then had to leave to take Jaylee to have her ankle looked at.  I was tired, flustered and over whelmed.  There have been times where I was so caught up and busy trying to get things done, that I may have said NO to him helping me unload the dishwasher, because it would have been faster for me to just do it myself.  There have been times when I have been so exhausted that I wouldn't have sparked a conversation with him like I did.  But by me letting him help me with something so little, even though it took forever, it got us talking.  Think about how many moments like this you miss with your loved ones.  It's so easy to get caught up with yourself, that you become so unaware of your surroundings and how important the people are that are in it.

It's so easy to lose sight to what is really important.  It's so easy to take things and people for granted.  It's so easy to lose compassion for those that we love. 

Life is too short to miss out on these moments.
Peace and love...

No comments: