Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Epiphany

Jaylee had her first epiphany today. She stumbled upon a rubber ducky necklace that was from her second birthday party. It sparked a memory. She said “This from my party with all the balloons..” I was impressed that she remembered, that was like, 7 months ago! I thought it was pretty neat that she is not only having long term memories, but she is talking about them. I reminded her that was from her birthday party. That’s when it happened! Her eyes got big….and at that moment she realized at 2 ½ years of age that time slips away never to be recovered. She dropped her head, her arms and hands limp to her sides. “Oh no my birthday is all gone, never gonna get it back now. What we gonna do?” She was nearing panic mode. What is this child going to do when she turns 3o! I tried to explain the concept of the past and future....finally I just said "Yes that birthday has come and gone...but there will be many more birthdays to come" And that made it all better....if only it was that easy for all of us.

No comments: