Saturday, May 16, 2015

Sick kids and chickens

Sawyer has been fighting a cold since we got back from vacation.
He's had a runny nose and a cough, but nothing major.

On Thursday (2 days ago) I had to work all day, it also happened to be cub scout night for Marshall.
After work I met Kayleigh (our babysitter), with the kids at the school so that Marshall could attend cub scouts.  I pulled up behind her and she has a small trash can in her hand.  Sawyer was vomiting into it.  She said that he had been lethargic most of the day and he would hardly eat.  He vomited up this really thick mucous.  YUCK.  He was also complaining that his ear hurt.
I decided that I should run him over to Med Express just to have his chest listened to and his ears checked.  Luckily one of the other Mom's offered to bring Marshall back to her house after cub scouts, she lives 2 minutes up the road.

Now let me back track to last weekend.  Russ took Marshall to cub scout camp, and he had his wallet stolen there.  He happened to have my ID as well, so we were still waiting for our new drivers licenses to come in the mail.

I go to Med Express with Sawyer.  We have all been patients there, except for Sawyer.  There are two younger girls working the front desk.  I start to explain whats going on with him and she asks for my insurance card.  No problem.  Then she asks for my drivers license....
I explain that my husbands wallet was stolen and it had both of our ID's in it.  They say that they can't see him.  

Did I mention that I have a chicken in my car?
Yes a live chicken.  I took her to work with me because she has bumble foot.

Now I am pleading with them.  It's almost 8 p.m.  I really don't want to take him to the E.R.
It would cost me an arm and a leg, and expose him to something worse!

My child is visibly sick, laying on my shoulder in tears because he just vomited again in the parking lot.  They wouldn't see him.  I asked to speak to a manager.  Nope the manager wasn't there.

I have a minor meltdown.  I worked 11 hours.  Have yet to eat dinner.  Am worried sick about my baby.  I'm stressed because I still have a chicken in my car.  I get Russ on the phone and he calls another urgent care who agrees to see us, as long as I fill out a special form.  

On my way over there and it's so quiet in the car.  Sawyer feels awful.  I'm worried and stressed, Jaylee is worried and stressed.  The chicken is even being quiet.  The silence is broken by Jaylee asking me this question.
"Mom, is it weird that we have a chicken in our car?  I mean, is that normal?"

As I get off the exit on the highway the car in front of me has a big old hard plastic "FOR SALE" sign on it.  The wind catches it and it gets stuck on my windshield under the wiper.  
The kids laugh.  At the next light I pull up next to the car that lost their sign and we exchange an awkward glance.  I point to the sign and he just looks at me.  I unroll my window and say "Hey did you lose something" and we both laugh.

So we arrive at the Urgent Care and the Dr walks in the room.
Sawyer immediately says "Hi I'm Sawyer Jackson Lederhouse and I love you"
I just started to laugh hysterically.  The Dr says "Well I'm very fond of you as well"

His chest sounds fine, he has a minor ear infection and his strep test is negative.  Antibiotics and allergy meds are Rx'd and we are on our way home.

These children are the light of my world.  My life would be so incomplete without them.
I love watching how they light up other people's world.  I wonder if that Dr had a stressful day.  We were the last patients of the day, maybe Sawyer changed his whole day around by making him laugh so hard.  Maybe we were meant to go to the other office to brighten someone else's day.  Maybe the universe needed us to go in that direction for a reason. Who knows.  I do know that even though it was super stressful in the moment, it's something that we will laugh and talk about for years to come!

Never a dull moment that's for sure.
Peace and love....

No comments: