Monday, September 16, 2013

Role Reversal

I am soooo behind on this blog.  Luckily I keep a paper journal and write down highlights that I don't want to forget.  Things have been turned upside down since March, and that's when I stopped writing.

Russ has basically lost his job starting in March.  It's a very long story and I don't really feel like getting into the details.  It's been both devastating emotionally and financially for us.  But at the same time it's been a blessing in disguise.  We have had a bit of a role reversal.  I have returned to work at the animal hospital and I also work at home doing the finances for our business.  Plus I sell candles and do photography on the side, while being a Mom, wife and tending the farmette and training for both a 60 mile breast cancer walk and a future long distance hike.  Wow, am I really doing all of that?  I have to.  It keeps me sain, which keeps me happy.

Our role reversal has been a very good thing for us.  We understand things about each other that we never would have realized.  For instance,  Russ now gets to experience all of the awesome things that a stay at home parent gets to.  He gets to go to the school functions and help the kids with homework.  He gets to take the kids on play dates and Dr appointments.  He got to experience Sawyer's first time counting to 13 perfectly!  The things I started to take for granted he is appreciating.  He is also experiencing the hell that a stay at home parent goes through.  The mounds of never ending laundry.  The cleaning and cleaning while they just follow right behind you messing it right back up.  The fighting and crying.  The feelings of isolation and loneliness.  The never ending dirty diapers!!  We have been changing diapers for 7 YEARS!  We have had children in diapers for 7 YEARS!

I remember my first day at work when I came home Russ said "This was easy!  I don't know what you were always complaining about!"  I just smiled, thinking.... "Just you wait"  I think it was 2 days later he came in the bedroom and closed the door.  He whispered low so the kids couldn't hear and he said this...  "I don't know how the f**k you've been doing this for 7 years!  I mean I love them and all, but wow"  I laughed so hard that I cried!

He is really embracing it.  He even bakes and calls our friend Kim up on the phone to chat sometimes when he gets bored.  He has even ventured out to the grocery store with all 3 kids, which is something I WILL NEVER DO, unless absolutely necessary!!

I on the other hand now get to experience what a working parent experiences.  The things I was sometimes jealous of Russ for, just as he was sometimes jealous that I got to stay home and spend so much time with the kids.  I get to work doing something that I love and socialize with adults!  I get to make friends and have conversations.  I get to eat lunch with grown ups who don't throw food at me, well most times they don't.  I get to drive in the car and listen to the radio really loud, without kids being all loud in the back round.  And then I get to come home at the end of the day and have 3 amazing kids run into my arms so happy to see me, and I get a nice hot dinner made my my husband.  Just like I did for him for the past 7 years.  Now he does it for me.

They say that everything happens for a reason, and it does.

Peace and love.....

No comments: